Monday, November 4, 2013

Writing as a Vehicle for Literacy


I think it is in the Hebert article where writing is compared to a vehicle to use for reading comprehension.  This seems a very appropriate image to describe a part writing can play in the world of literacy.  It is a way to transport information from the mind into a thought as it requires students to take something they have read and express it.  As the Keys article states 'writing has potential to foster the generation of knowledge by actively translating new meanings into verbal systems.'  Writing is almost like putting the foot to the gas pedal and taking what was read and going somewhere to it, its an action! 

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking about how our blogs do this for us and for our material.  One of the important aspects I took from the Keys, Labbo, and Hebert articles is the importance of letting students drive their own writing car, so to speak, to give them the freedom to go at the pace that they have set and on the course they want to go, to allow them to make 'personal interpretations' (Keys) and personal reactions (Hebert) of and to texts and topics.  In many ways, I feel we experience this in our blogs.  We get to process our readings and take what is personally meaningful and explore it.  Writing about the readings and materials helps me to process it and take meaning from it, to think about it, and to comprehend it.  The Keys article gives the example of science - how often, writing in this content involves such strategies as fill-in-the-blanks, etc, but does 'not often consider projecting personal interpretations, hypothesis, explanations into science writing...'  I think about how much more meaning our material has when we are given the freedom to dive in and to write about it.  If we were given fill-in's, the synthesis would remain superficial.  Each content area can benefit from having students write.  I think it takes time and teaching students how to write (Hebert), but if teachers make the investment in doing this, writing can become a powerful vehicle for students to explore and comprehend material. Writing also gives the students an understanding of what it means to be an author, and through this, as Hebert points out, they can improve their reading!

The past two years, I've done writers workshop with my students and this weeks readings have really made me reflect on how I have and should use this and other strategies as a teacher and how I can improve my students writing time to help them have a better experience and get the most out of it.  I love writers workshop time.  This past year, my students would beg to do it, and they would do it for as long as I let them, and most of them would use the time productively.  I could really relate to the Labbo article and it helped me to really reflect on how I do it and what I should do differently.  I tended to do things more hands-off than most of the things I've read about writers workshop, but it has mostly been out of fear of discouraging students, so I was a little excited when I read that article and suggested teachers should 'focus more on what the child is trying to do and less on what we are trying to teach' (Labbo).  Two years ago, when I first started using WW, I was far more structured and rigid, afraid if a student didn't have a formal outline.  This past year, I tried demonstrating and suggesting to students to use some kind of formal outline, but I wasn't as strict about it.  I let them volunteer what they wanted to share and if they wanted to share.  I tried to let them tell me more about their writing and decide what form of writing they wanted to use and how they wanted to approach it.  I feel like I can see the difference in my students desires to write.  It made a big difference allowing them to choose which tools they used that I provided.  I am thankful for the Labbo article because it helps me to be more intentional about how I approach my WW - I had already started changing some of the things I did, but out of fear, that article helps me to be intentional and confident in how I will approach it!! 

I felt like the Hebert reading was really valuable, practical, and useful for really applying to ones teaching, evidenced where it says 'practices in this report should be used by educators in a flexible and thoughtful way to support student learning' (p 5).  I thought the entire article was really good, but one thing that really stuck out to me was more the actual style of the article.  I was thinking about it compared to some of the other recent readings and I just feel like it was much more easy to read and to comprehend....I was wondering if anyone else had that experience and based on what we've learned in this course, why that might be?  :)

I guess my question for this week is focused on the Writers Workshop aspect of the reading.....from my own experience, I feel that I've learned the value and importance of giving students freedom in writing, but practically speaking, students must write a five paragraphed essay of different types in middle school and even more in high school.  Practically speaking, how do we balance freedom in writing and teaching the formalities?

6 comments:

  1. I also thought about how our blogs are used as our own tools for learning. We are writing to learn. As I thought back to all my other classes, it seemed like every single one of them required me to write some sort of response after the weekly readings. Each class was slightly different but all asked the same thing. Take the information and make some sort of sense of it. I remember in my first couple of classes, I really struggled. I wanted a prescribed format, but soon I realized that a prescription was not the point at all. My responses were designed to help me digest the information and make connections between the readings and my own personal knowledge bank. Soon, I grew to appreciate these responses. It was during my writing time that I realized my understanding. If I struggled to write something, I needed to go back and reread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you connected the articles to the writing we do. I think that the fact that we read what peers found to be important, and then write about that (like I am right now) also has its own benefits! And I see where you are coming from when you bring up the five paragraph essay. I once heard a story about a WSU student who went to go complete his junior writing portfolio essays. He walked out feeling stellar about a wonderful essay that he wrote (he was an English major). And guess what? He didn't pass! His creative writing was taken as he didn't know how to write in the five paragraph format. I think that letting your students write free is important, and that sometimes writing in a certain format is necessary. Maybe you could even do a mini-lesson on this! I do not think that you need to have kids practice the five paragraph essay. Often times that is how we start students on essay writing, but beyond that it is not necessary. A student who writes creatively could easily write in the five paragraph format. But I don't think that it is easy for the student who only writes the five paragraph essay to write creatively!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had the same impression I had about these blogs and how they are used to help us comprehend the text. I would not have chosen this way to work on comprehending our weekly reading but I am glad I have done it. There are some other skills that I would not have refined as well as I have had I not done this type of writing.
    I have given your question a lot of thought. We need to make time so that students have time to do all different types of writing. Each teacher can alternate genres of writing throughout the school year. The part that we must be aware of is that students must be persuaded to practice different types of writing and not be allowed to only refine and practice only one form of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this blog has allowed me to really think about what I've read and the connections I have to the readings. As for your question, I think there needs to be a balance of letting our students choose their topic or ideas, but still requiring them to write in the ways they'll be tested so they can practice. If they get to choose the topic of their 5 paragraph writing, they might be more inspired to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha,
    I am impressed that you always took more an a hands off approach to your writing workshops. I think that is the goal for most teachers, but it is hard to do because we see a mistake and want to fix it right away, when really we need to step back and allow our students to work through it! I think that encouraging without criticizing is what allows a lot of students to enjoy a subject. I felt the same as you this week. For once I felt that I really understood what I was reading, and I wasn't constantly saying 'huh?!' It was so refreshing to read about a process that we do every week with our blogs. I know I wouldn't understand half of what I do if I wasn't asked to write about the weeks readings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that analogy that writing is like hitting the gas pedal and taking off with our understanding. This really makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. And I didn't even think about our blogs but they are exactly what the readings were about this week! I think this is one reason that I have come to really enjoy the blogging, is because it gives me a really in-depth understanding of the material since I am organizing and analyzing it in order to write a post about it. As for your question, I am puzzled by that too. It's hard to balance time between giving students freedom to write about whatever they want, and having to fill certain requirements. I think allowing students time to be creative mixed into required reading will help them to come to enjoy writing more instead of just seeing it as a chore.

    ReplyDelete